R. Lee Williams & Son Funeral Home and Crematory

Helpful Resources

For information on grieving and books on healing after the loss of a loved one, we have made a link available to Dr. Alan Wolfelt, Director of the Center for Loss. Dr. Alan Wolfelt is one of North America's most respected grief educators.
Visit Online Grief Resources for more information.

Griefshare is a friendly, caring group of people who will walk alongside you during one of lifes most difficult experiences. You dont have to go through the grieving process alone. It hurts to lose someone, find help at GriefShare.

Holiday Inn

Indentify yourself as an attendee of a funeral at R. Lee Williams Funeral Home and you will be offered a discounted rate at the Seminole, St. Petersburg or Madeira Beach Holiday Inn Express locations.

WHAT TO DO WHEN A BENEFICIARY DIES (Social Security Administration)

A family member or other person responsible for the beneficiary's affairs should do the following:

*Promptly notify Social Security of the beneficiary's death by calling SSA toll-free at 1-800-772-1213.

If monthly benefits were being paid via direct deposit, notify the bank or other financial institution of the beneficiary's death. Request that any funds received for the month of death and later be returned to Social Security as soon as possible.

If benefits were being paid by check, DO NOT CASH any checks received for the month in which the beneficiary died or thereafter. Return the checks to Social Security as soon as possible.

One-time Lump Sum Death Benefit

A one-time payment of $255 is payable to the surviving spouse if he or she was living with the beneficiary at the time of death, OR if living apart, was receiving Social Security benefits on the beneficiary's earnings record. If there is no surviving spouse, the payment is made to a child who was eligible for benefits on the beneficiary's earnings record in the month of death. Benefits for Survivors Monthly survivors benefits can be paid to certain family members, including the beneficiary's widow or widower, dependent children and dependent parents.

The following booklets contain more information about filing for benefits and can be downloaded by clicking on the title.
Visit The Social Security Site for more information.

The Federal Trade Commission

The Federal Trade Commission enforces a variety of federal antitrust and consumer protection laws. The Commission seeks to ensure that the nation's markets function competitively, and are vigorous, efficient, and free of undue restrictions.

The Commission also works to enhance the smooth operation of the marketplace by eliminating acts or practices that are unfair or deceptive. In general, the Commission's efforts are directed toward stopping actions that threaten consumers' opportunities to exercise informed choice. Finally, the Commission undertakes economic analysis to support its law enforcement efforts and to contribute to the policy deliberations of the Congress, the Executive Branch, other independent agencies, and state and local governments when requested. In addition to carrying out its statutory enforcement responsibilities, the Commission advances the policies underlying Congressional mandates through cost-effective non-enforcement activities, such as consumer education.

How the FTC brings about action

The FTC may begin an investigation in different ways. Letters from consumers or businesses, Congressional inquiries, or articles on consumer or economic subjects may trigger FTC action. Investigations are either public or nonpublic. Generally, FTC investigations are nonpublic in order to protect both the investigation and the company.

If the FTC believes a violation of the law occurred, it may attempt to obtain voluntary compliance by entering into a consent order with the company. A company that signs a consent order need not admit that it violated the law, but it must agree to stop the disputed practices outlined in an accompanying complaint.

If a consent agreement cannot be reached, the FTC may issue an administrative complaint. If an administrative complaint is issued, a formal proceeding that is much like a court trial begins before an administrative law judge: evidence is submitted, testimony is heard, and witnesses are examined and cross-examined.If a law violation is found, a cease and desist order or other appropriate relief may be issued. Initial decisions by administrative law judges may be appealed to the full Commisson.

Final decisions issued by the Commission may be appealed to the U.S. Court of Appeals and, ultimately, to the U.S. Supreme Court. If the Commission's position is upheld, the FTC, in certain circumstances, may then seek consumer redress in court. If the company ever violates the order, the Commission also may seek civil penalties or an injunction.

In some circumstances, the FTC can go directly to court to obtain an injunction, civil penalties, or consumer redress. This usually happens in cases of ongoing consumer fraud. By going directly to court, the FTC can stop the fraud before too many consumers are injured. The Commission can also issue Trade Regulation Rules. If the FTC staff finds evidence of unfair or deceptive practices in an entire industry, it can recommend that the Commission begin a rulemaking proceeding. Throughout the rulemaking proceeding, the public will have opportunities to attend hearings and file written comments. The Commission will consider these comments along with the entire rulemaking record--the hearing testimony, the staff reports, and the Presiding Officer's report -- before making a final decision on the proposed rule. An FTC rule may be challenged in any of the U.S. Courts of Appeal. When issued, these rules have the force of law.

How to Contact the Federal Trade Commission

Personnel Locator for Individual Employees 202-326-2000

When you dial this number, you will be asked to enter an extension or a person's name (last name, then first name if needed). You will be connected with the person's phone mail and may leave a message in the phone mail box.

General Information Locator 202-326-2222

Menu options will connect you with the press office, human resources office, premerger notification, the Consumer Response Center, and other frequently called offices.

Consumer Protection Issues

  • Consumer protection matters include:
  • Consumer fraud
  • Consumer privacy
  • Credit reports
  • Debt collection
  • False or misleading advertising
  • Internet/electronic commerce
  • Investment fraud
  • Leasing
  • Lending
  • Mail order
  • Telemarketing
  • Tobacco advertising
  • Warranties

In our Consumer Protection section you can find a variety of information on credit, health and fitness, buying and working at home, investments, telemarketing, the Internet and e-commerce, and other products and services

The information you volunteer to send to us is up to you. To learn how we may use the information you provide, please read our Privacy Policy. There are three ways you can contact the Federal Trade Commission's Consumer Response Center:

Phone: Toll-free 1-877-FTC-HELP (382-4357)

Regular mail: Federal Trade Commission CRC-240 Washington, D.C. 20580

Electronically:If you have a complaint about a particular company or organization, use our secure complaint form.

Antitrust and Competition Issues

Antitrust and competition matters include:
General inquiries and complaints
Questions about pending FTC cases
Anticompetitive practices
Price discrimination
Price fixing
Trade associations

Phone: 202-326-3300

Freedom of Information Act - 202-326-2430

Visit The Federal Trade Commission Site for more information.

When someone we love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure. Those who touch our lives stay in our hearts forever...